BASIC BREAKFAST IDEAS
PICK A PROTEIN+ A CARB + PLUS A FAT IF THERE IS NO FAT IN YOUR PROTEIN (+ A VEGGIE FOR EXTRA CREDIT)
· 2 egg + 2 egg whites+ 1 slice of 100% Whole wheat toast + *** ½ c spinach
· 2/3 c cottage cheese (full fat) + ½ c oats (cooked in water+ vanilla extract + cinnamon)
· 2 eggs+ 2 egg whites + 1 100% whole wheat tortilla + ***3 tbsp salsa+ cilantro
· 2/3 c cottage cheese (full fat) + ½ c blueberries
· 1 scoop protein powder mixed in water or unsweetened vanilla almond milk+ 1 apple
BACON AND EGG BREAKFAST MUFFINS
· cooking spray
· 6 eggs
· salt and pepper to taste
· 1/2 c cooked chopped spinach (excess water removed)
· 1/3 c crumbled cooked bacon
· 1/3 c shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat 6 cups of a muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. Crack eggs into a large bowl. Whisk or blend the eggs until smooth, this will take less than a minute.
3. Add the spinach, bacon, and cheese to the egg mixture. Stir to combine.
4. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until eggs are set.
5. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to eat!
SERVING SIZE- ONE MUFFIN
EASY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
· 3 c cooked sweet potato or yukon gold potato (bake them for about 45 min at 400 degrees, remove the skin and measure)
· 1 c chopped onion
· 2 chopped bell peppers (any color… I like red!)
· 1 c cooked mushrooms (optional!! I don’t care for mushrooms, but you may love it!)
· 1lb Breakfast Sausage or Italian sausage
· 2 handfuls spinach
· 10 eggs
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees
2. Brown sausage and drain fat. Set aside on a paper towel.
3. Cook onions and bell peppers in a large cast iron skillet until soft.
4. Add mushrooms (optional) and cook until tender.
5. Combine all remaining ingredients (including the cooked sausage) except for the eggs.
6. Season with sea salt and pepper and mix well.
7. Beat eggs in a separate bowl and then pour into the skillet.
8. Using a fork, gently mix eggs into the mixture.
9. Bake for 30 minutes until eggs are cooked.
10. Then set your oven to broil and brown the top of your casserole. This should only take 5 min.
11. Remove from oven and let cool 1-2 hours before slicing
12. Divide casserole into 10 equal parts and wrap individually
SERVING- ONE SLICE made with ezekiel bread
SOUTHWEST AVOCADO TOAST
· 1 slice of 100% whole wheat bread, toasted (for wheat free option, use Ezekiel bread)
· ½ avocado, peeled and seeded
· 2 tsp cilantro
· 1-2 tsp lime juice
· ¼ tsp cayenne powder
· ½ tsp red pepper flakes
· Salt and pepper
· 1 egg +2 egg whites scrambled
1. In a bowl, mix together your avocado, cilantro, lime, cayenne, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper and stir until mashed
2. Spread onto your toasted 100% whole wheat bread (or Ezekiel bread)
3. Top with your scrambled eggs and desired amount of salsa.
SERVING- ONE SLICE
CINNAMON SWIRL PROTEIN BREAD
· 1/3 c powdered stevia or xylitol (I prefer xylitol!)
· 2 tsp cinnamon
· 1 ½ c oat flour
· 2 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
· 1 Tbsp baking powder
· ½ tsp salt
· ½ c Stevia or Xylitol
· 2 Large egg whites
· 1 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk
· 1/3 c unsweetened apple sauce
· ¼ c vanilla, nonfat Greek yogurt
1. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8X8 inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In small bowl combine (set aside): 1/3 c Xylitol, 2 tsp cinnamon
3. In a large bowl combine (whisk together): 1 ½ c oat flour, 2 scoops vanilla whey protein, 1 Tbsp baking powder, ½ tsp salt, ½ c Xylitol or stevia
4. In a medium bowl combine (whisk together): 2 egg whites, 1 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1/3 c unsweetened apple sauce, and ¼ c vanilla nonfat Greek yogurt
5. Pour a shallow layer of batter into the loaf pan (about ¼ of the batter)
6. Sprinkle heavily with half of the cinnamon/xylitol mixture on the shallow layer of batter.
7. Pour in the remaining batter and sprinkle the remaining cinnamon/xylitol mixture on top.
8. Draw lines through the batter with a knife to marble.
9. Bake for 24 to 28 min. Let cool for 10 min. Bread will be dense.
10. Cut into 6 servings
SERVING- 1 SLICE
SUPER EASY PROTEIN PANCAKE
· ½ c oats, ground (or use ½ cup oat flour)
· 1/3 c egg whites
· 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Mix all ingredients until combined, do not over mix
2. Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray
3. Using medium heat, thoroughly heat skillet
4. When skillet is hot, pour batter in the center of the skillet
5. Serve topped with unsweetened applesauce (lower calorie option) or 1 tbsp 100% pure maple syrup (higher calorie option)
SERVING- ONE PANCAKE WITHOUT TOPPING